Steps to SuccessBook - 1993
Table Tennis: Steps to Success is the first book to give you a self-paced program for learning the important skills and game strategies in table tennis. By following this unique step-by-step approach, you will improve the level of your game and learn to play like a champion.
Written by master teacher, coach, and player Larry Hodges, this table tennis book is part of the Steps to Success Activity Series--the most extensively researched and carefully developed set of sport skills instruction books ever published.
Each of the 15 steps featured in Table Tennis: Steps to Success provides a solid foundation of basic skills and concepts. As you progress, you will learn how to adapt your game using the advanced strategies and playing techniques. Each step (chapter)
- explains why the skill or concept is important,
- identifies the keys to correct technique,
- helps you correct common errors,
- explains how to practice each skill in realistic ways,
- lists specific performance goals for each drill,
- gives you a summary checklist for evaluating proper technique, and
- lets you proceed at your own pace.
Drawing upon his vast coaching experience and his extensive involvement with the U.S. Table Tennis Association, Larry Hodges presents useful advice in game strategies and tactics. He also covers two areas of the game that are very important, yet often overlooked--footwork and mental preparation.
In addition, you will learn how to
- select serves and return shots that will give your opponents problems;
- add excitement to your game by putting topspin, backspin, or sidespin on the ball;
- choose the proper stroke to match your particular
needs--whether for quickness, power, deception, or just fun;
- select the grip that is best for you;
- improve your practices and games by starting out with an effective warm-up routine;
- find and enter tournaments; and
- prepare for tournament competition so that you'll perform your best.
Table Tennis: Steps to Success features over 120 drills and 140 illustrations and will help students get started, make steady progress, practice match-winning skills, and correct problems as they develop. The result--successful table tennis players who will enjoy the game for the rest of their lives. So learn how to play an effective game of table tennis; let your opponents play "Ping Pong"!
See all the titles available in the Steps to Success Series.
From the critics
AgeAdd Age Suitability
SummaryAdd a Summary
From table tennis rules, equipment regulations, to spins and advanced serves, this book uncovers techniques proven to build success in game play. It includes much descriptive prose and illustrations to start you off in some ping pong drills. After that, being a pro is just a matter of practice.
QuotesAdd a Quote
There are no notices for this title yet.